Delaware Bone Marrow Leave
§ 1318B Leave for bone marrow or organ donation.
(a) Definitions. — As used in this section:
(1) ”Bone marrow” means the soft material that fills the human bone cavities;
(2) ”Bone marrow donor” means a person from whose body bone marrow is taken to be transferred to the body of another person;
(3) ”Organ” means a human organ that is capable of being transferred from the body of a person to the body of another person;
(4) ”Organ donor” means a person from whose body an organ is taken to be transferred to the body of another person.
(b) In any calendar year, a teacher or school employee is entitled to the following leave in order to serve as a bone marrow donor or organ donor:
(1) No more than 7 days of leave to serve as a bone marrow donor;
(2) No more than 30 days of leave to serve as an organ donor.
(c) A teacher or school employee may use the leave provided by this section without loss or reduction of pay, leave to which the teacher or employee is otherwise entitled, credit for time or service, or performance or efficiency rating.
(d) This section applies to teachers and school employees who are included in a collective bargaining unit, unless a collective bargaining agreement contains provisions dealing with leave for bone marrow donation and organ donation.